Sometimes your laptop or tablet speakers just won’t do. Either because the sound quality isn’t very good or because they aren’t loud enough.
Because of this, I decided to buy the X-mini MAX Gun Metal
X-mini MAX Gun Metal:
- Contains 2 small speakers that produce stereo sound.
- Costs about 65 euro.
- Provides great sound and volume considering its small size.
- Contains a built-in battery that can be charged using micro USB (similar to a lot of smartphones).
- When it’s charged you can use it with any device you’d like as long as it has a 3.5mm jack plug.
- Allows for speakers to be used separately as well (mono).
- Allows for linking / daisy chaining even more X-mini devices.
I’ve been looking for a good video that gives you an idea of the sound quality, but none really do it justice. You really have to hear it by yourself. I know (some) MediaMarkt shops in the Netherlands have them, so if you’re interested you might want to test it there. For those that still want to have an impression, check out this youtube video of another version of the X-mini speaker:
Even though I really like the X-mini MAX Gun Metal, there is still room for improvement. By example:
- At a higher volume, the speaker is distorting and still moving (because of the vibrations).
- The included usb micro charging cable assumes your laptop/tablet USB and jack port are close to each other. If this is not the case you would need to extend by example the jack plug.
- The built-in jack cable is too short in my opinion and is only useful for daisy chaining / interconnecting with other X-mini speakers.
- The price for the MAX version might be too steep for some. The mono versions might suffice though, depending on what you want to use it for.
X-mini also has a lot of cool other versions of their speakers like by example a Bluetooth version, a version with a built-in mp3 player and a version with a built-in radio tuner. So be sure to check out their website.
On a closing note, Fujifilm has unveiled bendable foldable roll-up speakers. So there’s still much more cool stuff coming for portable speakers.